Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hypocrisy

Victor Davis Hanson, whose general perspective I pretty much fully agree with, has this excellent piece on the hypocrisy of our nation. When a Christian man is a stalwart fighter against immorality we assume naturally that he is a Ted Haggart creep. When a secular (or faux religious Obama style) crusader against ruining the earth or some such pablum, we do not assume, as we should, that he lives in a huge wasteful estate (as do Al Gore, John Ewards, etc.). 

More to the point, I am also uneasy about this. These children of the left are teenagers with power now. Think about it. Over the last eight years, all you have heard is how awful Bush is and how stupid he is and how on 1/20 they were going to party etc. Now that the tables are turned conservatives are quiet, respectful and still proud of our country. I join millions of Christians in praying for Obama. How many times have we heard that this past week? I have heard it from almost every major conservative leader. How many times have I heard a Jim Wallis or Tony Campolo lefty Christian say that about Bush.  Exactly zero.  Be glad if someone could prove me wrong. I haven't heard it. 

The 'reality based community' of the left are actually whiny little 13 year olds. The conservatives are classy adults who fight with ideas and action not with weasel words. But... We need to start being as proactive as the left has been. When an enviro nut gives you crap challenge them. When a lefty whines about the poor, compare how much they give versus how much you give. I know, because the data and my anecdotal observation prove, that we do better on helping the poor anyway. Being adult and respectful does not mean that we have to be walked all over.

3 comments:

  1. Hey brutha,

    So I am soo on your wavelength right now about this one. I too have not heard anyone like Jim Wallis or Shane Claiborne pray for Bush at all (Claiborne writes a chapter or two ripping on Bush in one of his books anyway and talking about his politics which I don't really care about unless Christ is involved). I have more conversations and arguments lately with my Left-leaning Evangelical friends than anyone. Like debating if capitalism is evil (it's not) or getting yelled at for not recycling one can (I don't even want to go into this one). As Christians and conservatives with the ammunition of being former Leftists, we need to bring it. I need to remind myself about loving my brothers and sisters in Christ, but pointing them in the right direction even more. It's also because I live in a college town. I've noticed that quite a few of my friends have grown up very fundamentalist and so there backlash is to become super liberal in their faith. Both ways of going are pretty scary. We need to be in the gospel, but stand up and not be silenced. I will continue to pray for President Obama and his family as well as the Bushes.

    Also, being good stewards of the Earth doesn't entail letting the federal govt. take a bigger crap on everything by getting super involved in this mess. As Christians we should use common sense to preserve as much of God's creation as possible. But if I have to deal with another person telling me to recycle (which I usually do anyway) or how global warming is going to kill us all I'm going to scream. I would argue, isn't it a little fishy to base one's entire argument for a cause on something without checking out the skeptics. I forgot that they don't really teach discourse in college anymore (because they really don't). That is the part of the radical Left or even Left-leaning college going Christians that scares me. They are not questioning anything. We should be sheep following Christ, not blind sheep following what Mr. ManBearPig or GE says. Yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Since they dont understand discourse anymore, they think that you either are a full-on retarded and contradictory environment worshipper, or you want to pave the world. I consider myself a conservationist in the vein of TR and Gifford Pinchot. Whose ideas make sense even more now that we have technology that can be used in a conservationist fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked out Gifford Pinchot and he is right on!!! I'd love to read more. It's weird, because as you said, I consider myself an environmentalist/conservationist. I think I'm leaning more towards saying I'm a conservationist, because environmentalism is a religion (that's difficult for a lot of my Christian friends to say, Driscoll does a good job at laying the law down on that one). But I care soo much about the environment, but capitalism makes complete sense in preserving and utilizing it. Like explaining to folks that using paper actually saves more forests. But it does, it's supply and demand and it makes sense for the economy and the planet.

    ReplyDelete